Its wedding season in India, and for all you would be brides I have compiled a list of makeup essentials that should be a part of every brides kit, especially desi brides.
I have combined a list of things that will help you during all your day events and also all your special events. These products will pair perfectly with both your everyday wear and also Indian wear. Its a bit of a long list so lets get started. I am adding options for both drugstore and high end products. This would also make a great kit for beginners or someone who is looking to create a makeup collection. You obviously don’t need everything, so feel free to skip over those sections.
- Primer – A good base helps increase the longevity of your makeup and creates a good starting point for your foundation. Depending on your need I could recommend any one of the following primers
- Hydration: Makeup Forever Step 1 Hydrating Primer. Its a great option, the other products from this line are also amazing (from here)
- Pores: I really like the Too Faced Primed and Poreless Primer (from here)
- Photo Ready: Smashbox Photo Ready (form here)
- Drugstore: Maybeline Blur + Smooth (from here)
- BB cream – A good BB cream is a great option when your going out during the day or when you want to give your skin day off from wearing makeup. I am listing some of my favourites again. You will notice that I really like my BB creams to have good spf. None of these break me out and work well on both dry and oily skin. Also you don’t necessarily need a BB Cream , you can mix your moisturizer or Face oil in your foundation for a light coverage option.
- Dior – Hydra Life BB cream. It is on the pricy side but I would say this is my favourite. It gives a healthy glow to the skin which I love. I actually found it in the skincare section of sephora (from here)
- Body Shop – Vitamin E BB cream (from here)
- Kiehl’s – BB Cream (from here) I love this one, because it is the only I have found that has SPF 50. This has a matte finish.
- Foundation – I would highly recommend investing in a good foundation. It forms the base of all your makeup and it is one thing that would will reach for a lot. I would recommend a liquid foundation but if your really not comfortable with that please go for a powder foundation. I will be talking about liquids only here since they are my favourite. As a bride you will be photographed a lot and so it is essential to avoid a foundation with SPF, because SPF causes flashbacks in case of flash photography and it is not something we want. 🙂
- Full Coverage : the two best options for full coverage foundations would be the following two. They work well on oily and dry skin and are very long lasting. You can easily wear any of these for your wedding day as well
- Light/Medium Coverage – Personally I belong to this category
- Luxury – Chanel perfection Lumiere (from here) or Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation (from here)
- Highend – Makeup Forever Ultra HD, this one is my favourite and it photographs beautifully (full review here). There are so many great products in the market and it is worth the while to get a few testers and try different ones to find the one that works best for you.
- Drugstore – For a dewy look L’oreal True Match Lumi (full review here), for a matte finish L’oreal Infalliable pro-matte (full review here).
- Drugstore – Maybelline age rewind is a great option for the under eyes. Maybelline Fit Me Concealer is another alternate that works well for blemishes as well as under eye.
- Highend – Nars creamy radiant concealor, the Urban decay or Mac pro long wear concealor. If your looking for something with higher coverage Kat Von -D lock it concealor (from here) is a great option.
- Luxury – YSL Touche Éclat Radiant Touch is a great option to give that new bride glow. You can read my full review here.
- Setting powder – They can be used to set your concealor and all your oily zones. All these products work great with flash photography
- Contour Kit – These are good if you want to start contouring. Powder contour kits are very user friendly.
- Drug Store – NYX Highlight and Contour Pro Palette(from here)
- Highend – Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit (from here) or the Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour palette (from here)
- Luxury – Marc Jacobs Instamarc light filtering contour powder (from here) For your reference: I have it in the shade Mirage Filter 40 – light gold/ light bronze
- Highlighter – There are so many great options in the market for a good highlighter these days, it’s very hard to just point out a few.
- Blush – There are a tones of options in the market and it’s very hard to go wrong with a blush. Some of my picks would be
- Drugstore – Revelon Photoready cream blush (from here)
- Highend – Some of my favourites are MAC Pinch O’Peach, Mocha, Chanel , Marc Jacobs Obsessed. Feel free to explore and find your favourite
- Setting spray
- Drug store – L’oreal Infalliable setting spray (from here)
- Eyeliner – if your new to eyeliner I would suggest a pencil liner. Here are some suggestion for the the different types of eyeliners.
- Drugstore – NYX eye pencil
- Highened – Marc Jacobs highlander gel eye crayon (from here), this is the only one that doesn’t smudge on my water line. I am a huge fan
- Gel – Maybelline Eye studio Lasting Drama Gel liner (from here) I find it comparable to Bobbi Brown, Mac and Inglot and it is a great value.
- Eye shadow palette – For your kit a nudes palette is all that is required to create so many looks. Here are some great palette which can be a part of your kit.
- Drugstore – Maybelline Nude (from here) is a great option for creating so many looks
- Highened – I would suggest the Urban Decay Naked 2 or UD naked(the original) palette. If you don’t like Urban Decay look at the Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette (from here).
- If you would like to add some shimmer/sparkle to your eyes: try using your highlighter on the eyelids.
As a bride I would suggest long wear colours that are very pigmented. A nude colour would be perfect for any day look. The second could be a red lipstick: A girl can never go wrong with a red lip, and it looks very flattering with traditional indian outfits. And finally if your looking to add another colour feel free to explore from a range of Pinks, Plums, Corals.
My favourite drugstore brands for lipsticks are NYX, Maybelline and Milani. I am listing some lipsticks that I really like.
- Nudes – Mac’s Twig, Mac’s Brave
- Reds – Mac’s Ruby Woo, Mac’s Relentlessly Red, Nars Cruella . Need some help finding your perfect red, try here
- Bright Colour
- Nyx butter lipstick in sweet tarte – Bright Pink
- Chanel Rayonnante – Plum
- Maybelline Craving Coral
- Drugstore – Real Technique or Morphe Brushes
- Highend – Sigma, Mac or Sephora collection brushes
- Perfume – A fragrance of your choice, My favourites are Chanel Mademoiselle, Vera Wang Princess and Marc Jacobs Daisy.
- Bindi – To complete your India wear look.
Thanks for reading the long post. I hope you got some useful tips to create your makeup kit. This list does not include all the products because that would make this post into a book, but feel free to ask any questions in the comments below.
Thank you once again for stopping by.
Like all other posts on my blog, this post is not sponsored. All opinions are my own.
If your looking for customized traditional indian wear feel free to check out our store 🙂 ❤